3.14.2011

Week: TWO

So turns out that traveling and trying to do the Paleo is possible, but if you are like me you tend to think that calories and food don't count when you travel-- then it's all over before it begins. So yes, you guessed it-- I travelled over the weekend and broke some rules.

I was doing really well for week ONE, and all those terrible cravings were curbing themselves for healthier options of wholesome food. Truly, once you get over the first three days of hell while starting the Paleo, you start to forget about all the unnatural foods that our bodies really don't need-- and it really does get easier. However, I took a few steps back over the weekend and have to retrain my mind and stomach to get back on course. Fortunately, my body felt the crappy side effects of stepping off course and demands I step it up, and this will make staying on course that much easier this week.

Let's face it, I'm trying to justify my weekend of poor eating choices... but no, I'm merely allowing myself to make a mistake and learn from it. I can guarantee this week will be a good one.

I'm fortunate to have this whole week off of school and work which will allow me to prepare foods and practice some much needed cooking skills. Here's what's on the menu for tonight and tomorrow's dinner:

TONIGHT: Chicken and vegetable stir fry
-heat up a skillet and coat pan with coconut oil (thanks to Bry and Amanda for the tip)
-brown chicken
-add peppers (red and green)
-add onion
-allow chicken and veggies to heat up together, flavors develop as they brown.

***The great thing about this kind of dinner is that you don't need a lot of salt or seasoning for the flavors to come out. As the chicken and veggies cook they start to release all these gorgeous flavors that go so well together. I'll be a happy camper with this dinner tonight.

TOMORROW: Salmon with bok choy and roasted veggies
-Bake salmon (again, using coconut oil and a little salt and pepper to taste)
-Roasted veggies: carrots and brussels sprouts (the only way I'll eat brussel sprouts is roasted... so yummy!)
-Bok Choy: I like to heat up a skillet with a little bit of oil and allow the bok choy to become wilted and soft. Not the most flavorful of the greens, but when rendered in a little oil the flavor comes out. Goes extremely well with salmon, in my opinion.

***Salmon and veggies can go in at around the same time-- easy, easy.



2 comments:

  1. So Amy,
    you basically inspired me to start this diet too. This is my second week and it seems to be going well also. I really crave milk to drink more than anything so I have a glass a day, and also if I feel I will go crazy without something, I just eat it to prevent total destruction of my being by eating 4 million tons of the thing later. Thanks for the motivation!!!!!! It's about time I did something!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,
    Welcome to the Paleo! It'll be fun to have you as a support buddy, especially being so close in Arizona. I totally understand how hard it can be to go Paleo 100% from the beginning, so I actually start out at about 80% then increase each week. It totally gets easier.

    ReplyDelete